American Legion Scholarship
It is a need-based Scholarship, to fulfil the remaining gap after all eligible grants/scholarship have been applied for a candidate.
- WHO - For the children of US military members, who died on or after September 11, 2001. They get a disability rating of 50% or greater.
- WHAT - Each need-based scholarship applied for an undergraduate and post-graduate course would get a scholarship of $20,000. Recipients can reapply for this annual scholarship 6 times.
- WHEN - The application deadline is in April and the winners would be announced by May end.
Eligibility and Requirements for Veterans
- Should have served at least one day of active duty during wartime or serving now
- Should have been honourably discharged or still serving.
- Merchant marines are also eligible who served from December 7, 1941, to December 31, 1946.
The active war of Conflict which they should have served are:
|War or Conflict||From||To|
|World War I||April 6, 1917||December 31, 1946|
|World War II||December 7, 1941||December 31, 1946|
|Korean War||June 25, 1950||January 31, 1955|
|Vietnam War||February 28, 1961||May 7, 1975|
Lebanon and Grenada
|August 24, 1982||July 31, 1984|
Southwest Asia and Global War on Terrorism
|August 2, 1990||Present Day|
Eligibility and Requirements for Children and Spouse
- Children or legally adopted children and spouse of a US Military member
- Should be a US Citizen
- Should have an official death certificate (Form DD1300)
- FAFSA showing expected family earning
- Any award or notification from the Federal state
- Break down of all education expenses
Within this American Legion Scholarship, there are other Scholarships also that would also help people related to the US Military member in some form or the other.
|The American Legion Legacy Scholarship||Junior Shooting Sports Scholarship|
|The American Legion Baseball Scholarship||Eagle Scout of the Year|
|Samsung American Legion Scholarship||National High School Oratorical Contest|
Annual Report of 2017
- Total Scholarships Awarded: 55
- Amount of Scholarship fund Awarded: $671,892
- Total Scholarship since start: 268
- Amount of total funds awarded since start: $1,164,573
- Total Donations: $1,270,830
These Scholarships are just like a small token that can be given to the people and their families who have sacrificed so much for the country. These scholarships would help them fulfil the dreams of the veterans and their family members. These type of small things would make a huge impact on them as they would feel that they are being rewarded for the sacrifices that they have made.
1) Can I apply for the American Legion scholarship if I am in a graduate school?
Yes, you can apply for an American Legion scholarship if you are in a graduate school. The scholarship helps assist students who are of military background, financially. However, you need to be eligible and is required to fulfill the requirements asked by the American Legion Scholarship committee.
2) How are the American Legion scholarship applications processed?
After applying for the American Legion scholarship online, your application is reviewed by the American Legion committee to ensure all the required documents are submitted by the applicant.
After this, the national; staff uses the criteria set forth by the American Commission you screen and shortlist the applicants as per your financial needs.
This information along with the application is forwarded to the Committee of Youth education for future review.
The recommendation is sent to the National Executive committee for the final decision.
After this, the shortlisted candidates are notified of their application status and any applicable awards.
3) How can I spend the American Legion Scholarship award?
You can spend the award of the American Legion Scholarship in your college/tuition fees and other educational expenses like books, meal cost, program cost etc, recommended by the American Legion Scholarship committee. You need to ensure that the institution you are attending where the American Legion scholarship are allowed to use.
4) When will I find out the status of my application for American Legion Scholarship?
You will be notified immediately after the short-listing process by the committee. Most probably, you will be notified of your application status during Mid May.
5) Is the information in the application of American Legion Scholarship secured?
Yes, absolutely. The American Legion Scholarship committee will not disclose your information to any other third party.