Financial aid for Military

Getting into military requires a great deal of hard work, dedication and a great deal of sacrifice. Due to this, the government offers a lot of benefits and aid to those who wish to attend school before, during and after their service. To know more about military aid read this article.

Posted by Akshay Nair P R on 18th May 2018

Financial aid for Military

One of the main programs in Military aid is to provide benefits for the education of the military people. This is one of the main reason people enlist in the armed forces. Apart from this both the Federal government and non-profit organizations offer money to veterans for college. The Broad types of Military Aid are:

Montgomery GI Bill

  • This Program provides the veteran with a set of funds each month for the costs of tuition, housing, books, and other fees associated with higher education.

  • It provides in total over $69,000 in cash and numerous support programs.

  • An eligible veteran has 10 years from the last day of your active-duty service to take the advantage of this Bill for 3 years.

  • This program provides single monthly benefit payment made directly to you. 

  • Eligibility: You contribute for the first 12 months of active duty $100 a month or you should qualify for VEAP conversion, completed high school, served at least 2 years of duty, received an Honorable discharge from active duty.

Your MGIB can be used to pay:

  • College, Business Technical or Vocational Courses

  • Distance Learning

  • Job Training

  • Flight Training

  • Certification Exams

  • National Testing Programs

 The Post-9/11 GI Bill

  • This bill provides benefits who served at least 90days of active duty since September 10, 2001

  • Depending on their service they will get the aid.

  • Just like Montogomery bill they can avail this benefits within 10 years from the last day of their active-duty service to take the advantage of this Bill for 3 years.

  • They can transfer this to their family members, for that they have to do at least 10 years of service and should be willing to sign up for four more years of service.

Your Post-9/11 GI Bill can be used to pay:

  • Up to 100% tuition fee coverage

  • Allowance for housing

  • $1000 a year for books and supplies

  • Ability to transfer it to your family

  • The Yellow Ribbon Program

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill Eligibility break down:

At least 36 months 100%
At least 30 days on active duty and discharged because of service-related disability 100%
At least 30 months, but less than 36 90%
At least 24 months, but less than 30 80%
At least 18 months, but less than 24 70%
At least 12 months, but less than 18 60%
At least 6 months, but less than 12 50%
At least 90 days, but less than 6 months 40%

Armed Force Tuition Assistance

  • This TA is provided by each branch of armed force to their active duty personnel

  • This would change depending on the division

  • With this, they can cover some or all the cost that would take to complete their high school diploma, earn a degree, or even a vocational certificate

  • For this TA each branch has their own specific set of rules

Who qualifies for TA depends upon the policies of your batch:

Active Duty Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
National Guard Active Duty Yes No Yes No No
Reserves Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Civilian Workers No No No No Yes

TA covers a lot of amenities and they are:

High School or GED Yes Yes No Yes Yes
Vocational, Certificate or Non-Degree Yes Yes No Yes Yes
Online or Distance Learning Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Associate Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Bachelor’s Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Master’s or Doctorate Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Second Lateral or Lower Degree No Yes No No No

Colleges offering Financial Aid to Military

American Public University System Liberty University
Ashford University Northern Arizona University
Columbia Southern University Ohio University


These three types of Financial Aid for the Military are so broad that it covers most of the benefits that are required for getting an education that too in most of the premium colleges or universities without any financial burden. Most common Scholarship programs such as American Legion, AMVETS, Navy ROTC and Army ROTC scholarship comes under these Programs only.


  1) How can I find out if I am eligible for Veterans Military Aid?

For this you can refer to VA Education website, there you can find a great deal of information regarding education benefits and what may be available to you. There are also various eligibility criteria given and through that, you can find out whether you are eligible for Veterans Military Aid.

  2) I am a Veteran and qualify for benefits. Should I still complete my FAFSA?

Yes, even though you are eligible for the benefits, then also you should complete the Federal and state aid in order to use the Veteran Educational Benefits.

  3) When will my money start coming?

The Veteran Educational Benefits are paid in monthly arrears, so you should attend the college every month and at the beginning of each term before you begin to receive your money.

  4) If I will get deployed, will I have to pay back my VA money that I have received?

No, you don't have to pay back the VA money that you have received if you would get deployed. In that case, you just have to provide the proof actual deployment for that you must bring a copy of your orders to Grand View as soon as possible after you receive them. After this, your entitlement draw will be stopped, but you will not be required to pay back any money the VA has already paid you for the semester. 

  5) What will happen if I just stop going to college and fail to notify the college and the VA officially?

Since you have not officially notified either of them, you will have all F's on your transcript and you will have to repay the VA.