Student Loan Forgiveness Programs By State
Are you curious about repayment options for your student loan? Take a look at our guide to learn about student loan forgiveness programs by state.
Updated by Jason Joy Manoj on 1st December 2021
Various student loan forgiveness programs are available to students based on their career, student loan progress, and state of residence. Student loan forgiveness reduces or redacts a student’s loan and is usually offered only for federal student loans. It’s rare for a private lender to forgive a student loan.
In this article, we’ll run through state student loan forgiveness options for students. States across the US have different programs to address student loan forgiveness. Use the list below to navigate to your chosen state to read about its student loan forgiveness program.
Table of contents
Alabama Math and Science Teacher Education Program (AMSTEP)
This program offers about $5,000 per year in loan repayment for qualifying math and science professionals in Alabama.
SHARP Program (SHARP)
This program offers various amounts in loan repayment for qualified Alaska professionals in the medical, dental, and behavioral health fields.
Primary Care Provider Loan Repayment Program (PCPLRP) & Rural Private Primary Care Provider Loan Repayment Program (RPPCPLRP)
These two loan forgiveness programs award varying amounts to qualified medical professionals in certain geographical locations within Arizona. Amounts vary between $4,000 to $65,000, depending on the priority of the professional.
Joyce Holsey’s ALL (Arizona’s Legal Legacy) Loan Repayment Assistance Program
Dedicated to Arizona lawyer and activist Joyce Holsey, this loan forgiveness program offers loan repayment to Arizona law school graduates that work in roles that support the legal needs of Arizonians of low income.
Out-of-State Veterinary Medical Education Loan Repayment Program
This program offers varying loan repayment amounts to qualified veterinary professionals in Arkansas.
State Teacher Education Program (STEP)
This program offers loan repayment for up to $3,000 per year for eligible Arkansas teachers.
California offers various student loan forgiveness programs. Here are three of them in greater detail.
California State Loan Repayment Program
This program offers up to $50,000 in loan repayment to US citizens practicing select health fields, such as medicine, dentistry, nursing, social work, therapy, counseling, pharmacy, pediatrics, and more. To be eligible, they must commit to practice in the public sector or non-profit space for the medically underserved for a period between 2-4 years.
Steven M. Thompson Physician Corps Loan Repayment Program (STLRP)
This California student loan forgiveness program offers up to $105,000 to physicians and surgeons practicing family medicine, general internal medicine, general pediatrics, obstetrics, or gynecology in a qualifying geographic destination.
Bachelor of Science Nursing Loan Repayment Program
This program offers up to $10,000 to qualifying nurses in California.
For more information about California student loan forgiveness, visit the state website.
Colorado Health Service Corps
This program offers between $50,000 to $100,000 for qualifying dentists, physicians, dental hygienists, physician assistants, and other health professionals.
Colorado Law's Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP)
This program offers up to $5,500 per recipient for qualifying lawyers and legal graduates.
Minority Teacher Incentive Program
This minority student loan forgiveness program offered by Connecticut is dedicated to minority undergraduates in a teacher preparatory course and entails about $5,000 per year.
Delaware State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
The SLRP from Delaware awards up to $100,000 to Delaware medical professionals that teach in shortage areas.
District of Columbia
These two loans from DC offer up to $12,000 per year for qualifying lawyers and up to $160,000 for qualifying medical professionals.
- DCBF’s Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP)
- DC Health Professional Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP)
Florida’s two student loan forgiveness programs provide between $4,000 to $5,000 per year to qualifying nurses and lawyers.
Nursing Student Loan Forgiveness Program (NSLFP)
Florida Bar Foundation Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP)
Georgia’s five student loan forgiveness programs offer support to medical professionals working in shortage and rural areas.
- Physicians for Rural Areas Assistance Program (PRAA)
- Dentists for Rural Areas Assistance Program (DRAA)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Loan Repayment Program (APRNLRP)
- Physician Assistant Loan Repayment Program (PALRP)
- Georgia Physician Loan Repayment Program (GPLRP)
Hawaii State Loan Repayment Program (HSLRP)
Hawaii has the lowest amount of average student debt per person. Their HSLRP is dedicated to primary care and behavioral health professionals.
Idaho State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
Idaho’s loan repayment program is for health professionals working in areas with a shortage of doctors and that have payment options for low-income or uninsured residents.
Illinois offers various forgiveness programs for nurses, nurse educators, teachers, and more.
- Nurse Educator Loan Repayment Program
- Veterans' Home Medical Providers' Loan Repayment Program
- Illinois Teachers Loan Repayment Program
- John R. Justice Student Loan Repayment Program (JRJ)
Richard M. Givan Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP)
The Indiana Bar Association offers this student loan forgiveness program of about $5,000 per year to eligible Indiana lawyers.
Iowa’s four student loan forgiveness programs are dedicated to nurses, teachers, and health professionals in rural areas of the state.
- Iowa Registered Nurse & Nurse Educator Loan Forgiveness Program
- Rural Iowa Primary Care Loan Repayment Program
- Health Professional Recruitment Program (HPRP)
- Teach Iowa Scholar (TIS) Program
The two student loan forgiveness programs below are both for medical professionals working in certain areas of the state.
Kentucky State Loan Repayment Program (KSLRP)
The KSLRP offers between $20,000 to $80,000 for health workers that offer service in rural communities.
Eligible health professionals like pediatricians, general physicians, dentists, nurses, counselors, as well as lawyers are eligible for the two student loan forgiveness programs below.
- Louisiana Bar Foundation Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP)
- Louisiana State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
Maine offers student loan forgiveness for health professionals, dentists, veterinarians, teachers, and some related professions.
- Maine Health Professions Loan Program
- Educators for Maine Program
- Maine Veterinary Medicine Loan Program
- Maine Dental Education Loan Repayment Program
Maryland offers these three programs to help you find relief easily.
Janet L. Hoffman Loan Assistance Repayment Program (LARP)
Maryland SmartBuy Home Buyer Assistance & Forgiveness Program
Maryland Dent-Care Loan Assistance Repayment Program (MDC-LARP)
Massachusetts Loan Repayment Program (MLRP) for Health Professionals
Health professionals in qualifying areas can receive up to $50,000 in student loan forgiveness in Massachusetts.
Michigan State Loan Repayment Program (MSLRP)
Michigan’s MSLRP helps companies source qualified medical professionals with student loan forgiveness.
Minnesota offers the most state loan forgiveness programs compared to all other states! And believe us, they’re all legit student loan forgiveness programs.
The state offers various amounts of loan repayment for dentists, medical professionals, mental health professionals, nurses, therapists, and pharmacists. Click on each program linked below for more information.
Minnesota Rural Dental Therapist/Advanced Dental Therapist Loan Forgiveness Guidelines
Minnesota Rural Mental Health Professional Loan Forgiveness
Minnesota Rural Pharmacist Loan Forgiveness Program
Minnesota Rural Physician Loan Forgiveness Program
Minnesota Rural Public Health Nurse Loan Forgiveness Program
Dedicated to Minnesota Dentist Loan Repayment for Services Program
Loan Repayment Assistance Program of Minnesota (LRAP MN)
Minnesota Allied Health Care Faculty Loan Forgiveness
Minnesota Dentist Loan Forgiveness Program
Minnesota Long Term Care Nurse Loan Forgiveness Program
Minnesota Nurse Faculty Loan Forgiveness Program
Minnesota Rural Advanced Practice Provider Loan Forgiveness Program
Minnesota Urban Mental Health Professional Loan Forgiveness Program
Minnesota Urban Physician Loan Forgiveness Program
Minnesota State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
Minnesota Urban Advanced Practice Provider Loan Forgiveness Program
Mississippi Teacher Loan Repayment (MTLR) Program
Mississippi’s only student loan forgiveness program provides up to $12,000 to eligible teachers with federal, not private loans.
All three of Missouri’s student loan forgiveness programs are for medical professionals, including doctors, nurses, and more.
Health Professional Nursing Student Loans
Health Professional Student Loan Repayment Program
PRIMO Student Loan Program
Montana Rural Physician Incentive Program (MRPIP)
Nebraska Student Loan Repayment Program
NURSE Corps Loan Repayment Program
New Hampshire State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
Nursing Faculty Loan Redemption Program
New Mexico Health Professional Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP)
New Mexico Public Service Law Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP)
New York offers a wide range of student loan forgiveness programs, including programs for doctors, nurses, teachers, social workers, and teachers!
- NYS Nursing Faculty Loan Forgiveness (NFLF) Incentive Program
- Physician Loan Repayment Program
- NYS Child Welfare Worker Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program
- NYS District Attorney and Indigent Legal Services Attorney Loan Forgiveness (DALF) Program
- NYS Get on Your Feet Loan Forgiveness Program
- NYS Licensed Social Worker Loan Forgiveness (LSWLF) Program
- Regents Physician Loan Forgiveness (RPLF)
- Albany Law School Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP)
- New York State Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program
Forgivable Education Loans for Service
NC LEAF Loan Assistance Repayment Program
North Carolina State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
Ohio’s only loan repayment program presents between $25,000 to $35,000 in financial support for dentists.
Ohio Dentist Loan Repayment Program
The forgiveness programs below are dedicated to Oklahoma dentists and physicians in certain areas of the state.
Physician/Community Match Program
Oklahoma Dental Loan Repayment Program (ODLRP)
Oklahoma Physician Assistant Loan Repayment Program
Oklahoma Physician Loan Repayment Program
Oregon offers two programs for lawyers and health professionals in the state.
Pennsylvania offers two loan forgiveness programs for public-sector lawyers and primary care physicians.
- PA IOLTA Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP)
- Pennsylvania Primary Care Loan Repayment Program (LRP)
Rhode Island offers three student loan forgiveness programs for nurses, medical professionals, as well as professionals in the tech, engineering, and design fields through the Wavemaker Fellowship.
Public Interest Law Loan Forgiveness Fund (PILLFF)
This USC student loan forgiveness program offers loan repayment to lawyers that gain employment in the public sector in South Carolina.
Dentist Loan Repayment for Service Program
South Dakota’s only loan forgiveness program is dedicated to dentists and offers up to $125,000 over five years.
Tennessee offers three loan forgiveness programs dedicated to teachers from minority groups, nurses, and maths and science teachers.
Graduate Nursing Loan Forgiveness Program
Minority Teaching Fellows Program
Tennessee Math and Science Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program
The State of Texas offers student loan forgiveness programs for lawyers, teachers, nurses, physicians, and other health professionals anywhere from $2,500 to $60,000.
- Attorney Student Loan Repayment Program (ASLRP)
- Teach for Texas Loan Repayment Assistance Program (TFTLRAP)
- Texas Student Loan Repayment Assistance Program (SLRAP)
- Nursing Faculty Loan Repayment Assistance Program
- Physician Education Loan Repayment Program (PELRP)
Utah offers two forgiveness programs for medical and health professionals working in certain regions.
- Health Care Workforce Financial Assistance Program (HCWFAP)
- Rural Physician Loan Repayment Program (RPLRP)
Vermont offers four state-wide loan forgiveness programs for physicians, nurses, dentists, and legal professionals:
- Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, and Physician Assistants Educational Loan Repayment Program
- Vermont Bar Foundation’s Statewide Loan Repayment Assistance Program (VBF-LRAP)
- Dental Educational Loan Repayment Program
- Nurses Educational Loan Repayment Program
The following loans offered by Virginia provide up to $167,000 in funding for eligible health and legal professionals:
- Herbert S. Garten Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP)
- Virginia Loan Forgiveness Program (VLFP)
- Virginia State Loan Repayment Program (VA-SLRP)
Washington Health Professional Loan Repayment Program
This program offers up to $70,000 for eligible health professionals in Washington.
West Virginia State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
This program offers up to $90,000 in funding for physicians, physicians’ assistants, nurses, midwives, and dentists that work in a certain geographical area.
Health Professions Loan Assistance Program (HPLAP)
Wisconsin’s HPLAP offers up to $50,000 in loan assistance for physicians, physician’s assistants, nurses, midwives, psychiatrists, dentists, and dental hygienists.
Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program
Wyoming’s only student loan forgiveness program is dedicated to veterinarians in the area and offers up to $25,000 per year in loan repayment.
Comparing Student Loan Forgiveness by State
Here are some interesting comparisons and facts about student loan debt and forgiveness in different states.
- Minnesota has the highest number of state student loan forgiveness programs, followed closely by New York.
- California residents make up 34% of the accepted applicants for the Borrower Defense Discharge Application.
- Maryland has the highest average student loan debt among its citizens, with Georgia and New Hampshire following close behind.
- Utah has the lowest average student loan debt among its citizens, and Wyoming is the state in which the most students are least likely to graduate with student debt.
- North Dakota is the only state without a state student loan forgiveness program.
For more fun stats, check out Education Data.
If you study in the educational, medical, or legal field, there are plenty of legit student loan forgiveness programs offered by individual states to support you with tuition.
Use this guide on student loan forgiveness programs by state to find out which states offer student loan forgiveness and to compare different programs.