Student loan debt is a major issue among several students. It is a burden when you get a low-income job. The borrower may find it difficult to repay these loans with his/her low earnings. It becomes worse if he/she fails to secure a job aftergraduating from school.
Few companies and banks provide student loan refinancing, one such financial service provider is SoFi. SoFi is a leading student loan refinancing company. It was one of the first to refinance federal and private student loans together in the year 2012. Ever since it was found in 2011, it has refinanced student loans worth $18 billion. However, refinancing student loans can be a confusing topic. Learn more about What is student loan refinancing. List of contents
- SoFi student loan refinancing reviews
- SoFi refinancing overview
- Parent PLUS and parent loan refinancing
SoFi student loan refinancing reviewsWhen you decide to refinance your student loans, irrespective of the fact whether its a federal or private loan, you taking another loan with less interest rate, to repay the original student loan. Under the SoFi student loan refinancing, you get to pay a new interest rate based on your current financial position. This new loan with a lower interest rate can reduce the total interest costs and ultimately lower your monthly payables depending on the choice of terms.
If you have a good credit score and financial position to avail refinancing, you qualify for a lower interest rate payment on this loan. This can make you save a good amount of refinancing. SoFi doesn’t charge any hidden fees or prepayment penalties. The company provides services easily and conveniently. Borrowers can apply or request refinancing online simply by filling the application form and no charge or fee is demanded when applying. Origination and prepayment penalties are also overlooked. SoFi also came up with a plan which allows its customers to subscribe for a membership to avail discounts on the interest rate.
|Loan amount||More than $5000|
|Student Loan rates||Fixed-rate: 3.89% – 8.07%
Variable-rate: 2.5% - 7.12%
|Loan terms||5,7,10,15 or 20 years|
Advantages of refinancing student loan with SoFiBoth private and federal student loans can be refinanced by SoFi, although the US Department of Education doesn’t offer student loan refinancing. Even though refinancing your federal student loans with SoFi is possible, the refinanced loan must not be on an income-driven repayment plan. Benefits of refinancing student loans with SoFi
- You would get a lower monthly payment
- It helps to pay off your loan sooner, saving you money in interest
- A lower monthly repayment would decrease your debt-to-income ratio
- The lender provides a flexible term length
- Borrowers are offered fewer fees and interest rates
- SoFi provides services to borrowers irrespective of location
- This lender is recognized for providing more than 12 months forbearance period for academic or military deferment and any other type of policy that helps borrowers in tough times.
Disadvantages of refinancing student loan with SoFi
- While many lenders provide cosigner release, Sofi is yet to provide cosigner release to its customers.
- The refinancing option is not available for those who don't have a degree.
- The forbearance period can be above 12 months.
- Discharge of loan due to death and disability is approved case by case.
Refinancing federal student loan with SoFi would restrict you from availing federal loan benefits, however, there is no such thing for private loans.
SoFi refinancing OverviewFees and interest rates You have an option to check for eligibility which depends on your credit score and you can choose your preferred interest rate depending on your term. No application and origination fee is required during application No prepayment penalty Late fees will be imposed on delayed payments made after 15 days SoFi refinancing Requirements
1. Financial requirements
- SoFi requires a credit score of 680 and above
- The average score should be above 700
- No minimum income is required
- The minimum debt-to-income ratio is not disclosed
2. Other requirements
- The person should be US citizen or permanent resident of the US
- Must be a graduate
- Should have attended Title IV-accredited school
- He/she should be employed or should have enough income from other sources
3. Option of repayment
- People can postpone payments if they return to school after deferment
- Payments can be postponed if the borrower is involved in active military duty
- Payments can also be postponed if the borrower is under rehabilitation or has a minor disability
- Physicians and dentist can pay the reduced payment of $100 per month during their residence
- Borrowers can postpone payments if they lose their job
4. Customer service
In house customer service team is available
- Borrowers don’t get assigned to a banker or representative
- The time taken for approval is about a week
5. Perks to borrowersAn advisor would help the borrower in planning for a career transition, searching for jobs, and personal branding. SoFi provides a wealth management platform to help borrowers invest without charging for a management fee.
Wondering about loans for college? Learn about student loans and clear your doubts