What is FAFSA School Code?

FAFSA school code is a list that contains unique codes assigned by the Department of Education for the schools that provide student aid. Students need to enter these codes on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Updated by Deepthi Raj on 29th June 2018

What is FAFSA?

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is an official form that is used to appeal federal for application to any educational aid, Student Loans, Federal Grants.

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid determines the status of Financial Aid required by a student and estimates the contribution to be paid from family

  • The contribution from family is calculated by default irrespective of the family is going to contribute that amount or not.

  • FAFSA uses information such as federal government, selected college, and the state of the selected college to regulate the financial aid for the student.

  • FAFSA is administered by the U.S. Department of education, providing around $150 billion student aid per year

What is the FAFSA code?

  • Federal code is a six-character alphanumeric code that identifies colleges and universities uniquely.

  • Federal School Codes were formerly identified as Title IV Institution Codes and are also referred to as FAFSA School Codes, which can be found on FAFSA School Code Finder Page

What is the meaning of School Code?

  • Schools use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form that is nationally recognized in order to construct financial aid choices of their own, a copy of FAFSA form must go to the student schools as well as the federal government.

  • A federal school code is always a six character that begins with 0, G B or E and ends with a five-digit number. For example: “001052 is the federal school code for University of Alabama

  • The Federal School Code List comprises the unique codes allotted by the Department of Education for schools engaging in the Title IV federal student aid programs.

  • Students need to enter FAFSA code on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to designate the schools they choose to obtain their financial claim

  • Selection of the year for which student would essentially obtain the aid, need not necessarily be the present school year. For example, if student applying for FAFSA in January 2018 for the next school year, then one must select 2018-2019. 

How do I obtain federal school code?

  • Universities provide their federal school codes in financial aid section on their official website

  • Federal school code search tool is provided by U.S Department of education on its website

  • Federal school code can be given while completing FAFSA

  • Students can call up the Federal student aid information center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) for any queries related to federal school code

  • Students can also download Federal School Code List which includes more than 7000 college and universities.

Do I have to send the FAFSA to each school?

To be eligible for federal student funding, students must fill FAFSA and send it to the appropriate schools by making use of the college school codes

To avoid students from filling and submitting a new form for every institution, the Department of Education will mechanically submit a replica to maximum ten schools, and thus a need for college school codes come in.


FAFSA school code is a list that contains unique codes assigned by the department of education for the schools that provide student aid. The students need to enter these codes on their Free application for federal student aid. 


  1) What documents will I need before I can file a FAFSA?

The documents required before filing a FAFSA is listed below

  • Social Security numbers,

  • Driver’s license (if you have one)

  • Most recent federal income tax returns

  • W-2s, and other records of money earned.

  • Current bank statements, records of investments and records of untaxed income (if applicable).

  • If you are a dependent student, you will also need most of the above information for your parent(s).

  • If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need your Alien Registration Number. 

  2) Can I file a FAFSA even if I haven't filed taxes yet?

Yes, you can file a FAFSA even if you haven't filed taxes yet. You can do so using your parent's tax report.

  3) How can I make corrections to my FAFSA?

To make corrections to your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), click the Login button on the home page and log into FAFSA on the Web, and then click Make FAFSA Corrections.

When correcting your FAFSA, you can:

  • Add or remove colleges from your application

  • Change your e-mail or mailing address

  • Change any field in your FAFSA other than your Social Security Number (SSN)

   4) Where do I find my past tax information?

You can find your past tax submission transcript from www.irs.gov

  5) What is a SAR (Student Aid Report)?

The Student Aid Report (SAR) is a paper or electronic document that gives you some basic information about your eligibility for federal student aid and lists your answers to the questions on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

If you provided a valid e-mail address on your FAFSA, you will receive an e-mail with instructions on how to access an online copy of your SAR.

  6) What is an FSA ID and how do I get one?

An FSA ID is a username and password that you must use to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education (ED) websites. Your FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your own personal information on ED websites such as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) site at fafsa.gov.

You can get one by going to the fsaid.ed.gov website and login and give the relevant details that they ask and then you can get an FSA ID.

  7) What is a DRN number?  

A Data Release Number (DRN) is a four-digit number assigned to your application by Federal Student Aid. It is printed on the upper right corner of the paper Student Aid Report (SAR), in the upper right corner on the electronic SAR, and on your confirmation page.

The DRN can be provided to a customer service representative to make certain changes to your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) information. These changes include; permanent mailing address, e-mail address, phone number, school code and/or housing plan.