About Academy of Art University
On Campus Housing
Academy of Art University was founded in 1929 and is a private for-profit institution located in San Francisco, California. The academy is the largest university for art and design in the nation. The university has been offering online art programs since 2002. The online courses offered at the university are a benchmark in education.
Many famous photographers, artists, and architects are the alumni of this university and hold respectable positions in the world of art.
For reducing the heavy financial burden, students are provided financial assistance through many forms.
The student-faculty ratio is 14:1.
- The graduation rate of the university is 40%.
Online Education at Academy of Art University
It has been over 16 years since the Academy began online educational programs. The university has created their own online tools for the students.
The online programs are similar to the on-campus courses. Students are given the same benefits as the traditional students. Online students have the liberty to study at their own time.
Educational resources that are offered to the students are made by experts exclusively for the university. These resources include lecture contents in the forms of videos, written content, audio and slideshows that are interactive and include practical work.
Students are provided with online facilities such as the online library, communities, career development, online music library, online learning class discussion tutorials, and other academic support for the students.
Online Student Academic Support (OSAS) is an online branch that provides educational resources to online students specifically.
For more info on Tuition and Fees
The rankings and reviews of the university are as follows
The students are given real opportunity in the world of art.
The instructors are helpful and excellent.
The Art Career Project ranked the university No.3 among the "Best Online Programs' in the nation for art.
Location & Contact
Address79 New Montgomery
To tackle the tough decision of choosing the right university, the ranking of a particular university helps the student in clearing their doubts regarding where they want to apply. It is said that the more information that a prospective student has about a university, the better it is. The ranking of a university helps a student overcome the confusion of which university/college is right for them and also other prospects. Before taking admission, a student can assess the university chosen by them on various grounds like research excellence, the performance of its students after graduation, and their experience, among others. Notably, for the rankings, the two publications, US News and Forbes, are trusted everywhere. However, it should be noted that Academy of Art University does not feature in the list of top colleges, according to the latest ranking of these two publications.
Neither required nor recommended
High School GPA
Accept Common App
Academy of Art University’s admission process is simple and easy to make sure the students can easily apply for the courses and pursue their education career.
Admission process for Undergraduate Program
The following are the documents to be submitted for proof of high school completion
- Copy of High School Transcript or GED
- High School Diploma with graduation date
- Copy of completed Bachelor’s degree transcript
- California High School Proficiency Exam letter
- Home School Program Certification form which should be signed and along with the transcripts
The application fee for is $50 and the students can make the payment by check or money order which should be payable to “Academy of Art University” or through Visa, Master Card, and Discover credit cards and once application fee is paid the university will not refund the amount.
Candidates to submit the completed application form. Candidates can also have an art portfolio which helps in the admission process. Candidates, if attended any other universities or learning institutions, should have the official transcripts.
Admission process for Graduate Program
The following are the documents to be submitted during the admission process for graduate degrees
- Transcripts from candidate’s undergraduate college/ University which shows completion of degree
- Statement of Intent: Candidate should write a one-page essay which explains candidate’s personal goals for graduate school or an essay related to the topic given by the department
- Resume: Candidates have to demonstrate educational and professional experience
- Portfolio/ Demo reel: Candidate should provide a portfolio describing the discipline chosen by the candidate
The application fee for is $50 and the students can make the payment by check or money order which should be payable to “Academy of Art University” or through Visa, Master Card, and Discover credit cards and once application fee is paid the university will not refund the amount. Candidates to submit the completed application form.
Admission process for Military Personals
The following are the documents to be submitted during the admission process through military
- Copy of High School transcript or GED
- Copy of a Bachelor’s degree transcript which is completed
- Home School Program Certificate form which is signed and along with it transcripts
- California High School Proficiency Exam letter
For the men and women in the military who is serving in the US Armed Forces, can be active duty or as a reservist, then the university has waived the application fee. Candidates should submit the completed application form. Candidates can also have an art portfolio which helps in the admission process. Candidates, if attended any other universities or learning institutions, should have the official transcripts.
Technical Requirements for Online Education
Supported Internet Browsers
Minimum System requirements
Candidates have to meet the following system requirements to participate in online classes
- Operating System MAC OS X 10.9 or higher with a processor of Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i7, or Xeon processor or faster and the memory around 4 GB of RAM minimum, 8 GB or more is recommended.
- Operating System Windows 8 or later with a processor of 1.33 GHz or faster with 64 – bit processor and the memory around 4GB of RAM minimum, 8 GB or more is recommended
- The online course content is available on the mobile device. The University recommends the students to install Academy of Art Classes app. The app is available for both iOS (Apple) and Android. University
- Video Card with Super VGA 1024x768 with 64k color or with 64mb VRAM or higher resolution video adapter and monitor.
Other System Requirements
Candidates should be ready with the following requirements as well to participate in online classes
- Access to the Internet: The Download speed should be at least 1.5MBps or cable internet is highly recommended
- Email Account: Candidates after registration will get a free email account.
- Camera and microphone: External webcams and hands-free microphone are highly recommended for the courses
- Adobe Creative Cloud: After the students have enrolled for the classes, students get a free access to Adobe Creative Cloud and software which includes Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and other programs.
- Anti-Virus Software: In order to download files from the internet and exchanging files, an anti-virus software will protect the computer. Some of the anti-virus software like Symantec, McAfee, Avast, and Malware bytes
- Word processor, Spreadsheet, and presentation software: Few classes require for presentation, the creation of documents so all the enrolled students will get free Microsoft Office 365 software.
Annual Cost to Attend
Average Annual Cost
Books And Supplies
Room And Board
Budget For Other Expenses
Total One Year Cost
Full-time undergraduate students at Academy of Art University were charged $21,252 in tuition and fees in the 2018 - 2019 school year, prior to modifications for financial aid. $20,952 was the price of tuition. $300 was the cost of fees.
There continues to be a rise of 3.0% in Academy of Art University tuition and fees for out-of-state students in the past five years. Tuition grew by 3.1% and fees grew by 0.0%. This school year, undergrads can expect to pay $21,898 based on current estimates.
Because of price growth, the total expense of a four-year Academy of Art University degree would be $91,668, and the total price of a two-year degree would be $44,462, which doesn't include extra charges such as books, transportation, and room and board.
Highest Degree Offered
Full-Time Retention Rate
Part-Time Retention Rate
Research Funding per Student
Evening Degree Programs
Computer Software and Media Applica...
Design and Applied Arts
Film/Video and Photographic Arts
Drafting/Design Engineering Technol...
Fine and Studio Arts
Visual and Performing Arts, General
Specialized Sales, Merchandising an...
Radio, Television, and Digital Comm...
Drama/Theatre Arts and Stagecraft
Apparel and Textiles
Educational/Instructional Media Des...
US National: 44%
US National: 56%
3% Two or more races
28% Non Resident alien
0% American Indian/Alaska native
1% Native Hawaiians/Pacific islander
Out Of State
36% percentage of students who recieved an income-based Federal Pell Grant intended for low-income students.
Median Household Income
$74,015 per year
The students can reside on campus and 36% of Freshman Live On-Campus.
On Campus Housing Available
Freshmen Required to Live on Campus
Freshmen Live on Campus
Undergrads in College Housing
Averege Housing Cost
The institution has several dining and meal plan options available to students and the average meal plan cost is around $5,652/year.
Meal Plan Available
Average Meal Plan Available
Division Sports Nickname
Varsity Athletics Association
Varsity Athletics Conference Primary
Total Male Athletes
Total Female Athletes
24-Hour Security Patrol
24-Hour Escort Safety rides
The university offers on-campus housing facilities to the students who wish to stay on the campus. At AAU, $17,510 is the normal expense for on-campus housing, which a student will be needed to pay, each year. Academy of Art University has several dining and meal plan options for its students and the average meal plan at AAU costs around $5,652 per year. The university has enrolled around 43% male and 57% female students.
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
Median Earnings 10 Years After Graduation
Median Total Debt After Graduation
Typical Monthly Loan Payment
$289 - 490
Students Receiving Gift Aid
Average Aid Per Year
Students Receiving Federal Grants
Average Aid Per Year
Students Receiving State Aid
Average Aid Per Year
Students Receiving Institutional Grants
Average Aid Per Year
Average Grant & Scholarship by Family Income
$30K - $48K
$48K - $75K
$75K - $110K
To relieve the students from heavy financial burdens, the university provides financial assistance to those students who are eligible.
In order to receive these financial aids, the students must complete their FAFSA form. The Academy of Art University Federal School Code is 007531.
Federal Aid awarded include Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Work-Study Program, Direct Stafford Loans, Direct Parent PLUS Loans.
The college also provides Institutional Aid such as Summer Portfolio Grant, MFA/MA Summer Scholarship, Spring Forward Scholarship.
Military Aid such as Academy of Art Military Scholarship, Yellow Ribbon Program, GI Bill, Tuition Assistance is awarded.
State Aid includes Califonia Grant.